Things the British have right about weddings:- They give the guests a opportunity to wear fabulous, stylish, over the top hats*
- No garter toss
- No cake smooshing on the face
- A proper sense of restraint and dignity
So I have this to say to all you UK brides: keep the faith. Don't Americanize your wedding. It's just not worth it.
And I'm not even mentioning the other things the British have right, like tea made properly, marmalade, and London.*Technically, these hats were worn at a Knighting. But I'll take that in a pinch.


18 comments:
Any excuse for a fabulous hat!!
Love it.
yey for being english! i love how all the grannys wore hats at our wedding and i couldnt think of anything worse than my husband going under my dres in front of everybody and coming out with my garter...no americanism for me sorry!
You could always have the wedding in England so you could have the reception on the sheep farm. It's just that no one from the States would be able to afford to come.
I stayed in Cambridge for a summer and the weddings every weekend with the hats and horse drawn carriage where so elegant. I even considered having a destination wedding to England...
I completely agree...about the hats, vintage engagement rings, and weddings in general. I love your blog!
Heehee!
Other good things about British weddings - no rehearsal dinner and no bridal shower. Two less wedding related activities to plan!
Other elements that I think are traditional in the American wedding but don't happen this side of the pond:
- father/ daughter dance (nor mother/groom dances)
- those laid out cards telling everyone what table they have to sit at
- a grooms cake (why does he have to have his own? so silly)
- have to get married indoors and only at approved locations (no back garden ceremonies)
I know I'm two days late and it's now the fourth of July so this isn't entirely appropriate, but thanks for making me so happy to be English today :)
Not too late Ms. Guilty, not too late at all :)
Rah rah, jolly spiffing it is to be British, what, what? With just 2 weeks to go until our summer barn wedding in the Wiltshire countryside, one of my last jobs is to pick up some lovely ribbon and wooden pegs for the ladies to peg their hats up during dinner!
For any of you getting whimsical, I have my white wellies and umbrella just in case! x
Very Good advice for the brits. Love over the top hats at weddings.
I LOVE the hats they get to wear! It's so not fair!
Yeah, too bad we don't have centuries-old small chapels and family farms/estates behind charmingly crumbly stone walls. Sigh....
Have you seen the latest wedding on Lillian and Leonard?? It's gorgeous!
One allegedly British thing we stole for our Massachusetts wedding was the group shot of everyone. The wedding was in the groom's parents' back yard, and the photographer climbed into the attic while the father of the groom directed everyone to clump together. That's the photo that stops everyone in their tracks as their halfheartedly flipping through the album to humor me: that's the one photo that everyone genuinely digs.
I am British but getting married in America this October. Thanks for this post - it reminded me of all the British traditions (and not) that we have in weddings!
One interesting thing is the Bride pays for the bridesmaid dresses in the UK but in the US it falls to the bridesmaids which seems daft.
It is daft, indeed. And if I can use this little blog to help change that, I'm going to do it. Let the girls wear what they want, or buy them a dress you want them to wear.
Does orthodonture fall under the "things Brits have got right" too?
Quick question about English weddings - can guests wear hats to Jewish weddings in England? I will be attending one and would love to wear one of those fabulous hats but I am not sure if it would be acceptable at a Jewish wedding? Please help! Thanks!
I wore a hat/fascinator to a Jewish wedding in London a couple of years ago, as did some of the other guests.
It did end in divorce a year later though, who knows if that was the presence of hats or something else entirely...
Post a Comment