Today's sponsored post is really neat, because not only is it something that
every single bride in Northern California should know about, but it's a chapter in my long wedding dress search that I never got to fill you in on. And a very cool chapter at that. A vintage wedding dress chapter.

I found out about
Recapture Designs in Oakland through an early reader of this blog.
Recapture Designs is a fantastic vintage store in the Oakland/Berkeley Rockridge shopping district. It's a great store, but the magical oh-my-god-is-this-real part is is the back of the store, by appointment only. Tucked into the back the store owner,
Robin, has a whole room of vintage wedding gowns. When you walk in, you realize that they are sorted by decade, starting in the 1920's, and moving through the 1950's, and on to the 1970's. I walking slowly through the decades felt like wandering through a family album. I would squeal and pull out a dress and say "Oh! My grandmother wore a dress in this style," or "This is totally my mom's dress."

When you
make an appointment with Robin, she spends at least an hour working with you, pulling down dresses that might work, and letting you try on a little pieces of history. But that is just the beginning of the story. If you find a dress that you love, Robin works with you to figure out how to modify the dress, to make it so it works for your body, to bring it up to date. I hadn't realized how important this would be until I started trying on dresses. Wearing a wedding dress from the 1920's sounds fantastically chic, but once I put them on I realized that parts of the dress would need to be tweaked so I felt like it was really mine. Robin is a fashion designer, so she can do anything from just lowering a neckline, to really redesigning a dress.

So brides in Northern California, call Robin and
make an appointment. It will be, hands down, the coolest experience you have shopping for a wedding dress. I've never heard of another store quite like Recapture, and diving into Robin's jewel box of a dress collection feels like heaven.

And one final note. Robin has recently started doing bridal consultations, helping vintage-style brides accessorize their wedding outfit, go, go, go.

You can see more pictures of Recapture dresses on
Robin's blog. Enjoy!
8 comments:
ohhh man... I wish there were someone like Robin in Columbus. It would be a dream come true. :( (Either that, or I wish I were in California!!)
WOW. I wished I lived on the West coast so I could go to this place! Do you know if she would consider on online order? I have been scouring ebay and etsy for a vintage dress for ages and I just can't seem to find the right thing. Or perhaps there is a similiar type of shop in NYC that someone knows of?
To Amanda re: online orders. This is something I've been thinking about ever since I opened my shop. So far it's definitely been a hands-on process but I am willing to consider the possiblities. Please email me if you would like to chat.
Robin@Recapturedesigns.com
Gorgeous gowns!
I'm getting my dress here too! I just had my last fitting with Robin and Eva last week. I'm soooo in love with my dress and can't wait to wear it!
I linked to you on my blog, I love yours!
Sounds like a great place to find a vintage wedding dress! I am seeing more and more brides using their mother's wedding dress again.
just cant get enough of those vintage dresses!!
Post a Comment