Sunday, April 27, 2008

Found Inspiration: Whimsy (but sadly no monkeys)


This weekend was beautiful and sunny in San Francisco, so I got to go out and play a bit. Not David though, unless you count studying for law school finals as playing, which I do not. Anyway, I finally got to go to the Pirate Supply Store (826 Valencia) and I was reminded that one of the things I like best about San Francisco is it's delightful sense of play and whimsy. The sell lard! They sell penny whistles! They sell multi colored eye patches! Sadly, they do not sell parrots! Or monkeys!

I can hear you right now thinking to yourself: "This is nice and all lady, but how in the heck are you going to tie this back to weddings?" Well, ah-ha, I will and I can. David and I love both whimsy and all things ridiculous and we clearly need a healthy dose of it in our wedding. And I take inspiration where I can get it.

The Pirate Supply Store website has the most hilarious and least useful FAQ I have ever seen in my life. It's particularly unhelpful since it poses questions, but never answers them. I've decided that we clearly need to use this as inspiration for our wedding website FAQ, except we probably should make sure and answer all the questions. But, how can I resist questions this good:

“Is anything actually for sale?”
“I’m having trouble determining which items are for sale.”
“How do you stay in business?”
“Nobody actually buys anything here, do they?”
“Okay. This has to be a front for something, right?”
“Um. Uh. What in heck is going on here?”**
“Is this a gallery?”
“Is this a hardware store?”
“Oh! I get it! It’s a sailing supply shop, right?”
“Yes, but what is this place really?”

Now, I just have to figure out the wedding version of these FAQ.

**Clearly will apply to our wedding as well.

2 comments:

Jessamyn Harris said...

ooh, I love the Pirate store! Haven't been in a long while, but some friends from out of town just went and they said they got "mopped" - did you get "mopped"?

Maybe you can relate this back to weddings somehow: “Okay. This has to be a front for something, right?”

Excuse my weird sense of humor.

Meg said...

Ah hahahhaha.
Indeed.
Particularly funny to those who knew us in High School, where we did not get along spectacularly well.