Wednesday, May 6, 2009

M-A-I-N-E

Gay marriage is now legal in Maine, making all of our marriages a little stronger, all of our lives a little richer:

Debate was brief. Senate President Elizabeth Mitchell, D-Vassalboro, turned the gavel over to an openly gay member, Sen. Lawrence Bliss, D-South Portland, to preside over the final vote.

That, Maine, is the way it is done. Thank you.

17 comments:

Rianna said...

Phenomenal!!

(Dance dance, dance dance)

Michelle @ My Wedding Report said...

Awesome! I hope CA follows soon.

Emily Takes Photos said...

Oh HELL YESSS!

Alicia said...

Every time I think I live in a backwards thinking state, Maine goes and does something like this. And as a gay Mainer planning a wedding that would have gone on regardless of this (and will regardless of the success the opposition has mounting a referrendum), I feel such an overwhelming sense of pride and gratitude for the members of the legislature who voted for this. Keep your fingers crossed that the opponents can't gather the 55,000 and then some votes they need to force a vote in November.

Ms K said...

woo hoo!!!

E. said...

Since I live in Maryland where the rest of the world thinks we are a liberal mecca and those of us who live and lobby here and know that it is different, this gives me great hope for the future!!!
With most of the (good) news on gay marriage coming out of New England, I think back to the times of slavery as well as segregation and wonder - does New England just have a better sense of civil rights??? I dunno.

Amanda said...

What's that spell? MAINE!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The momentum that has been building lately is so exciting, and I'm really glad to be planning my own wedding while awesome stuff like this is happening. Hooray!

Erika said...

Hooray for my home (well, birth) state! And congratulations especially to Alicia.

Ms. Green said...

Hallelujah!!

April said...

Right on, Maine! We're gonna get there -- one state at a time if that is what it takes!!

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that we moved our wedding from Illinois (home state) to Iowa (new home!) not just because that's where we live (etc...) but because gay marriage is now legal here.

As an interracial couple in 2009, I couldn't imagine not being able to marry my fiance because we're different colors. Thankfully, that fight was fought. Fifty years from now, let's hope that the gay marriage fight is also just another chapter in the history books, having already been assimilated into our daily life. :)

Yay!

MidwestElle @ iowabride.blogspot.com

kahlia said...

It certainly is slow going, but I'm still so glad it's finally happening. Way to go Maine! I hope other states follow in your footsteps soon!cat

JMB said...

Way to go Maine! One state at a time, we will accomplish equality for all!

Rubiatonta said...

Let's hope Little Rhody is next -- though things are not going as well here as they could be, largely because the state is heavily Catholic.

If you and/or yours are Rhode Islanders, please speak up in favor of equal marriage rights for all.

Thanks!

christina said...

hooray!

One Love Photo said...

Another state to LOVE!!!